If you are new to internet marketing, you may have come across a lot of scary words like search engine optimization (SEO).
Yes, SEO is vital for the success of your online business but it is not as scary as it sounds. Stick around as I tell you what search engine optimization is all about.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is search engine optimization?
- 2 How do you get your website optimized?
- 3 Why would you want your website to rank highly in search engines?
- 4 Search engine optimization techniques?
- 5 1.On-page optimization
- 6 Here’s how you do it…
- 7 2. Off-page optimization
- 8 Which search engine optimization plugin?
- 9 SEO Analysis
What is search engine optimization?
The technique for improving your website’s visibility in order to achieve high ranking in search engines.
It is the process of maximizing the number of visitors to your website by ensuring that your website appears high on first-page search results in popular search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo!
Think of it, when you Google something, which site do you click first? One that appears on the first page or one that appears somewhere in page 3,4,5? My guess is you focus on first page results and mostly on the first few results.
Take a look at what happens when I searched for “Beachwear in Google”…
The websites that appear here are search engine optimized and they rank in Google for absolutely free. Your website can rank like that too if it is search engine optimized.
How do you get your website optimized?
It all starts at the beginning of your web building process. You get your site SEO ready by installing a relevant plugin. I will get to plugins a little later…
You don’t need to be a geek to do this. You can get an easy step-by-step guidance if you decide to build your website at Wealthy Affiliate.
All your internet marketing efforts become a whole lot easier at Wealthy Affiliate, even if you have zero experience, and you can learn for free!
Why would you want your website to rank highly in search engines?
Money! Yes, when your website ranks highly in search engines, your content is seen by many people. They start liking and trusting your website. You establish yourself as a search engine authority.
The more trust you build the more likely that people buy what you are promoting.
NOTE: When people search for stuff online, they are not necessarily looking for a particular website. They are merely looking for information to help them.
People tend to visit the first few websites in the results because they perceive them to be the most accurate. Your website must appear among the first 3 at least.
Search engine optimization techniques?
This is the most important of the two techniques. If done properly, 70% of your SEO efforts are complete.
Here’s how you do it…
- Choose appropriate keywords. For that, you need a reliable keyword research tool. Jaaxy comes highly recommended because it provides you with useful metrics such as the amount of traffic (100 searches and more) a particular keyword gets online; the number of other web pages you will have to compete with (the fewer the better- 100 or less). You can see all the awesome features of Jaaxy here.
- Include your keywords in the title.
- Keyword must appear above the fold, i.e. first (100-150 words) of your article and in the rest of the content.
- Be subtle and sweet about it. You don’t want your page to be cluttered with incoherent keywords. use different keyword variations (synonyms).
- Use short simple URL which includes your target keywords.
- Include related keywords throughout your article ( aka. LSI – Latent Semantic Indexing). This is important because it reduces the risk of keyword cluttering and improves organic ranking.
- Show Google around your website through appropriate internal linking
- Use multimedia resources (pictures, video) in moderation and always add alt. text to all your multimedia resources.
- Your pages must load fast. Another great feature of Wealthy Affiliate hosting is that Site Speed is included. You can check my latest review of Wealthy Affiliate here.
2. Off-page optimization
- Social networking sites: Share your articles on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Pinterest, Instagram etc. Sharing your posts on social media is a great way to increase the number of eyeballs (traffic) to your website.
- Video marketing: you can create engaging video content and upload it on Youtube, Vimeo etc. and add links to your website.
- Forum Marketing: Answer questions in different forums like Quora, Yahoo Answers etc., related to your area of expertise.
- Guest blogging
- Link Baiting
- Search engine submission
- Article submission
- Social bookmarking
- Directory submission
- photo sharing
- Business reviews
- Social shopping network
- Local Listings
You don’t have to do all these at one go. It can be a gradual process but you need to do everything properly. It means being consistent and keep things relevant and up to date.
Which search engine optimization plugin?
If you are using WordPress, the best SEO plugin to use is All in one SEO. I use it and highly recommend it.
If you install and feel like you don’t like it, you can always uninstall and get another plugin.
For, example there is Yoast SEO, The SEO Framework etc.
A comprehensive diagnosis of your website by search engines. The result is a detailed report on your sites SEO health together with any warnings and errors uncovered by the analysis.
The report shows you how you can improve your ranking in search engines.
There are many tools you can utilize to investigate your website SEO status. I will mention just a few:
- Google’s Webmaster Tools
- Check My Links
- HubSpot’s Website Grader
- UpCity’s SEO Report Card
- Moz’s Pro Tools
- Found’s SEO Audit Tool
- Screaming Frog’s SEO Spider, etc.
Some of these tools are free while some are subscription based. You decide which one to use, implement the recommendations and get ranking.
Let us take a break here…
Did you find this post useful? Please rate it.
Have any questions, comments? Please head to the comment section below.
Feel free to share this post anywhere…you never know who you could help!
To your success!